Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chykberry Syrup


As summer draws to a close and my blueberry and blackberry bushes continue to produce, I have had to find creative ways to use them. I haven’t had the time to do traditional canning but I did come up with an idea that has become popular with friends and family. Maine is the only place I know of in the USA where ice cream is only eaten during summer months. When I lived in Texas, we ate ice cream year round but here on the east coast, each season has its own personality complete with specific foods. My Chykberry syrup, as I call it, is made primarily from blueberries, with blackberries and raspberries thrown in, as they are available. It is the perfect complement to vanilla ice cream and is great on pancakes, too!

The recipe:

Turn stove to medium and in a sauce pan add:
2 T. water
3 cups of berries
1 T. cornstarch
3 T. sugar (more if you like sweeter taste)
Stir all ingredients over medium heat until liquid is bubbly and continue to stir for a minute or two. Remove pan from heat (syrup will continue to thicken as it cools). Store in refrigerator or freeze for later use.



This syrup makes a great gift and will last for a week or more in the refrigerator. It will freeze nicely in a plastic container for use weeks or months later.

No comments:

Post a Comment